An Aspect is the second half of a player's mythological role, which is assigned during Character Creation. The aspect is an element of existence, and the player affects the parts of reality that embody their aspect or affects reality through their aspect (as opposed to the class, which determines how the player affects reality). In game, the aspects determine what characteristics a player will be more proficient in.
There are twelve aspects, two of which are based on physical reality, two of which are based on how we process reality, and the other eight split between Idealism and Realism.
- Time- destruction, entropy, time
- Space- creation, matter
- Heart- soul, inner identity, singular path of self
- Mind- choice, logic, thought
- Breath- wind, direction
- Light- truth, luck, light
- Life- health, life, growth
- Hope- possibility, belief, calm
- Doom- sacrifice, pain, ending
- Blood- leadership, vitality
- Rage- restriction, anger, disbelief
- Void- non-existence, obscuration, uncertainty
In Homestuck, the omniscient workings of fate determine a player's aspect based on their personality and how they affect reality, but in The Overseer Project, the player gets to choose it themselves. Determining what aspect fits your personality the best is an out-of-game process and isn't necessary to choose an aspect.
Effect In-Game: Aspect PatternsEdit
Aspects allow the player to use Aspect Patterns, which are special powers slightly similar to Fraymotifs. Unlike Fraymotifs, the player can customize Aspect patterns, and they come automatically rather than costing boondollars.
On The SiteEdit
The form for creating Aspect Patterns is accessible under the Strife section of the interface.
As a player you have the possibility to create custom Aspect Patterns. You can choose the name, target and effect of these attacks. These patterns are nonpermanent and you can delete, use or create them as you wish.
You divide the bonuses an Aspect Pattern gives between six different possible effects on the battle:
- Damage: This will cause the Pattern to deal health vial damage to the target upon use. No matter how high this is it won't drop the enemy below 1 health.
- Power down: This will cause the Pattern to reduce the power level of the target upon use, which decreases their defense and offense.
- Offense up: This will cause the Pattern to increase the attack power of the target upon use (do more damage per round).
- Defense up: This will cause the Pattern to increase the defensive power of the target upon use (take less damage per round).
- Healing: This will cause the Pattern to restore the health vial of the target upon use.
- Cost reduction: See Aspect Vial
These bonuses are determined by percentage points. Because of this, the power is based on your echeladder height and the percentages determine how that power is divided. For example: If you put 100% in the Damage area, the attack will be a powerful blast. 50% in the damage and 50% in power reduction would cause a less-powerful attack but would also lower the target's offense to some extent.
The aspect vial is like your Health Vial. It increases by a percentage every time you complete an encounter for the self currently asleep. At default, with no percentage points in the Reducing Cost field, a pattern will consume your whole vial. Putting points in the Reducing Cost field will cause percentage decrease in vial cost. It is unknown as to the actual proportion of the decrease, but it is not linear (e.g. an investment of only 45% points may bring the cost down to only 10%) and depends on the specific aspect of the user. It is not however possible to reduce the cost of a pattern below 10%. This is copasetic with the concept of weaker attacks costing less, as making an attack cheaper uses up percentage points, and having fewer percentage points to spend on other effects makes the attack weaker.
Each aspect is better suited for certain kinds of bonuses. A Void player might get better results from an Invulnerability attack than a Rage player.
|Damage||Power Reduction||Offense Boosting||Defense Boosting||Power Boosting||Healing||Multitarget||Cost Reduction|